Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Home Carbonation System


I go through at least a 2L bottle of seltzer a day and was accumulating bottle after bottle and starting to feel super guilty about the waste. I looked into SodaStream, but quickly realized that while I would be saving plastic bottles, the cost was about the same as purchasing seltzer in the store. I became determined one night, and gathered every bit of information I could find about putting a carbonation system together. After reading several different blogs including Instructables, and scouring Google and YouTube for photos and videos of the process, I was able to put my system together.

Here is what you need:

A CO2 Tank. I purchased mine at the Beverage Factory. I live in New York, and in New York it is illegal to get a CO2 tank refilled. Welding supply places have new and used tanks for purchase and exchange. I found a great store in the Bronx, Independent Welding Supply Co., that is sending my 15lb tank out to be filled. In the meantime, I am using a small 5lb tank that is a loaner from the store.


A Double Gauge. Also purchased at the Beverage Factory. The gauge screws onto the tank and tells you how much pressure you are squirting into your bottle and how much CO2 is left in the tank.


A Carbonator Cap and Gas Connector Kit.
I purchased these at Northern Brewer. I cut off one end of the Gas Connector Kit and the tubing fit perfectly onto the gauge. The ball and lock fits onto the carbonator cap.


Carbonating
Carbonation works best with very cold water. I have been keeping bottles, 3/4 full, in the freezer until they are chilled, but not frozen. Make sure the tank is open (lefty loosy righty tighty)and the gauge valve is off. Before attaching the bottle to the carbonator cap, make sure to squeeze the air out of the bottle. Attach the cap. Adjust the gauge pressure. I read that a 2L bottle will be able to withstand 50psi. I have been leaving the pressure at about 30psi. Get ready. Turn the gauge valve on. A quick blast of CO2 will fill your bottle. Shake, shake, shake, shake your bottle, shake your bottle - for 20 or so seconds. Shake it hard. Turn off the gauge valve. Turn off your tank. Unscrew the Carbonator cap. You will hear some gas escaping. Quickly cover your bottle. You can drink the seltzer now, but I prefer letting it sit in the fridge. The longer it sits, the more bubbly it will become. I like my seltzer to sting my throat a little as it goes down.


Squeeze out the air.


The Whole System.



Shake the bottle.


Seltzer!!!


The End.

No comments: